Impress your Guests with this German Glühwein Drink recipe for Your Next Holiday Party!
When you host a holiday party, you really want to go for the “Wow” factor with all your food, decor, and definitely with your beverages. German Glühwein (or mulled wine) brings the “Wow” without a lot of work. Glühwein literally translates to “glow-wine” because when you drink it on a cold night, it fills you with a warm glow. This recipe is the same one we use in the Alpine Restaurant so now you can bring home a little piece of our Alpine Village Christmas Faire all winter long!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 bottle of a dry, red wine
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in sugar, and add cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, and lemon peel
- Squeeze lemon juice into the mixture, and add orange slices
- Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. (If the water get’s too low, add 1/2 cup of wine)
- After mixture has simmered and made a thick syrup, pour in wine, return to a simmer, and simmer for 5 minutes. *Optional: simmer for 15-20 minutes to cook off alcohol.
- Remove from heat, strain out all solid ingredients, and serve hot.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, candy cane, or orange slice.
- And Enjoy!