Alpine Village Cooking: Recipe for Healthy Meal with Andouille Sausage
Otto Radtke, general manager at Alpine Village was kind enough to share the following recipe with me. Not only did he share it, he invited my husband and I into his kitchen and prepared this delicious meal for all of us to enjoy. Now you can share this meal with your friends and family. Not only is it delicious but its very healthy and incorporates one of the artisan sausages that we make right here at the Alpine Market.
“A healthy dish that balances the strong flavor of a nicely spiced sausage with the fibrous texture of kale and the gentle sugar of lightly sauteed sweet potato. The kale and sweet potato will clear your pallet of the strong flavor of the sausage in between bites.”
Ingredients for Two Portions
|Spicy Sausage (I use Alpine Village Andouille or Habanero Chicken Sausage)||Two ¼ lb Sausages|
|Sweet Potato, scalloped||1 Potato|
|Jacinto Kale, cut into strips||6-7 leaves (about 3 cups raw)|
|Yellow Onion, minced||About ¾ cup|
|Garlic, minced||1 large clove|
|Salt||To taste, about 1 tbsp|
|Olive Oil||¼ Cup|
- In a frying pan, cover and steam the sausages in about ¾ cup of water. After the water steams off, brown the sausages. About 10 minutes. Add cooking time if your sausages are unsmoked or raw.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, add garlic, onions and salt and cook until the onions are very lightly caramelized.
- Add the sweet potatoes and keep move them around the pan, flip them, basically stir fry them until they’re barely soft.
- Try not to overcook the sweet potatoes. You want to cook them enough to bring out the sugar in them but not cook them so much that the sweetness gets too strong.
- Saute the kale just until it turns from a dusky green to a bright green in order to keep it from becoming too soft.
- Swiss chard is a another great choice for vegetable in this dish that will add color.
- Make sure to use a spicy sausage to ensure flavor contrast with the kale and sweet potatoes.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
|Calories: 542||Calories from Fat: 366|
|Total Fat: 40.71g||Saturated Fat: 7.6g|
|Cholesterol: 85mg||Sodium 2192mg|
|Total Carbohydrate: 34.3g||Dietary Fiber 5.7g|
|Protein 17.9g||Sugars 9.75g|